If you’re trying to decide whether to buy your insurance from an independent agency or directly from an insurance company, a big factor to consider is value versus price.
Independent agents offer:
- Convenience: more easily reached, no online forms or call centers
- Expertise: experienced agents can act as a guide
- Trust: person-to-person advice and the opportunity to build a professional relationship
- Satisfaction: a study showed 60 percent of the participants believed independent agents had a better overall value
- Understanding: agents can explain options and provide personalized plans to fit needs.
Going direct to large insurance companies may seem cheaper, but you generally get more one-size-fits-all policies that are limited in areas that may not fit your specific needs. Without an experienced personal agent you may be paying more than you should for their standard coverage, or have too much or too little coverage for your situation. Policies through direct companies are easily accessed online 24/7. In many cases your personal independent agent can be reached at any time as well. It’s up to you to carefully consider the benefits that add the most value.